ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NetApp for Primary Disk Pool

2012-08-29 16:43:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NetApp for Primary Disk Pool
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:41:17 +0000
If you are using FC connectivity to the Netapp, TSM will see it like any other
hard drive.  (That's a different case than using it via CIFS or NFS mount.)

The question is how much speed you need, and whether your Netapp can give you
that speed.  (This is pretty much true of any external array, not just a
Netapp.)

What you should do, is figure out how much data you have coming in to your TSM
server, and how fast you need to get it written to the Netapp.

Tell your Netapp salesperson EXACTLY what your requirements are:  that you need
to write xxx gigabytes of data to that box in yyy hours, then read the data
back (or replicate it or write to tape or however you create your offsite copy)
in the next zzz hours.

If you expect that box to be doing anything else (like concurrently doing dedup
or backup stgpool or reclaims), tell them that as well (although you should
hold off that activity until after your backup window, unless you back up round
the clock.)

Then the Netapp person should commit to you, IN WRITING, that the box he
configures for you will provide you that throughput rate.  Then if it doesn't,
it's THEIR problem, and they will have to stand by the box and make it perform
or give you an upgrade.

Some of the old NEtapps were quite slow and made terrible TSM pools, but I
believe a Netapp today can be configured to provide pretty much whatever
throughput you need, with the proper disks and the proper amount of cache.

The usual reason people get into performance problems with the hardware they
buy for TSM is that they don't ever specify the throughput rate they require
and get the sales folks to commit to it.  The salespeople SHOULD make that
commitment, or you shouldn't buy from them (and I haven't run into any major
manufacturers that won't make that commitment, if the requirements are stated
clearly.)