ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] backupset - restore permissions

2012-08-24 23:24:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] backupset - restore permissions
From: amit jain <amit12.jain AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:18:11 -0700
Hi,

We are planning to change our archive strategy. Planning to do one time
full backup and then create two backup sets, latter delete the backups.
With this strategy we can have  single tsm instance to cover most of our
archive needs,  as this will not fill up the TSM DB size. Also we can have
the archive without having to bother about the archive getting terminated
in between and triggering the archive again.

Any one knows the downside of backups set apart from the fact that partial
restores take longer. Any other issues or suggestions ? What about file
permissions ? Somebody told me that on linux the restore may not have same
permissions ?  We will be using it for archiving big filesets.

With version 6.2 TSM DB size has reached about 1TB with 2 archives. So DB
size is big driver for us to move to backupsets. Any one using backupssets
? How is the permissions while restore for LINUX filesystems  ?

Any inputs will be of help.

Thanks
Amit