ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] backup tape stgpool to tape stgpool pins recovery log

2012-07-25 22:08:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] backup tape stgpool to tape stgpool pins recovery log
From: "Dury, John C." <JDury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:58:57 -0400
I have 2 sl500 tape libraries attached via dark fiber (which doesn't appear to
be getting anywhere close to the speeds it should but that's another issue) to
an AIX TSM 5.5 server.  One is copy storage pool and the other a primary. I
backup the primary to the copy storage pool daily. This process is taking an
extremely long time and seems to hang because there is at least one extremely
large file that while it is copying, pins the recovery log and does not finish
before the recovery log is over 80% which then causes TSM to slow to a crawl so
I end up cancelling the backup storage pool process.  This is hanging my TSM
server on a daily basis because the recovery keeps getting pinned by the backup
storage process.
Is there any way at all I can find out what node or node and filespace, is
taking so long to backup so I can verify it really needs to be backed up at all?