ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Do you perform Windows SYSTEMSTATE backups?

2012-07-25 11:52:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Do you perform Windows SYSTEMSTATE backups?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:41:11 +0000
Zoltan,

Sometimes there just isn't a good answer.

Systemstate consists of different stuff depending on what Windows components
are installed, so sometimes one bunch of clients will fail often and others
don't.

But I've also had customers with clients where the systemstate backup would
fail frequently, and we could not point to any difference between those clients
and the software installed on other Windows clients that worked consistently.

Older TSM clients and older versions of Windows fail more often than later
version of TSM clients on later versions of Windows.  And the older Windows
machines definitely need VSS patches to work well, which is time-consuming for
admins.

If you are running VM's, your long-term strategy should probably be a migration
to TSM/VE so that you can just rebuild VM images; that way systemstate restore
isn't needed and you can suppress the systemstate backup.

If you have physical Windows machines that require a Bare Metal Restore at a
recovery site in case of DR, you are stuck needing systemstate backups.

If your failures are always due to the same handful of clients, what I do is to
turn off TSM systemstate backups and use a preschedulecmd to take an ntbackup
of systemstate to a flat file, then let TSM backup the flat file.  (On Win2K8
it's called Windows system backup, but works the same.)  The problem with that
is obviously an accounting issue; if you have to do a DR, who is in charge of
knowing which of the machines get their systemstate restored via TSM and which
by ntbackup, etc.

Windows system state is evil.

Wanda