ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] how to restore files from TSM backup tapes w/o TSM db

2012-07-20 17:56:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] how to restore files from TSM backup tapes w/o TSM db
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:49:38 -0400
TSM is not designed to do this and there is no documentation on recovering
data without the appropriate database.  This is why the manuals stress the
importance of protecting the database.

That said, there are binaries out there and have seen them on sourceforge
or google code that can dump the contents of a ADSM/TSM tape.  I never
tried it myself and would definitely take some time to figure out.

There are also some archiving/recovery companies that are able to read TSM
tapes for indexing and restoring using their proprietary software.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/11/2012 11:10 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] how to restore files from TSM backup tapes w/o TSM db

Hi all,
    We had a monthly backup job in our TSM system and the data must be
kept forever without purging the TSM database.  Recently, we found that we
couldn't restore some users' database in 2010.  During the troubleshooting
process, we further found that some users' backup records for 2008, 2009,
2010 were missing in TSM database.  We reported the case to IBM and they
said that the data could not be restored without a health TSM database.

We have all monthly backup tapes on-hand.  Would you all kindly advise me
how to restore the files in the monthly backup tapes without using the TSM
database?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
KK

|This was sent by kcheung4 AT yahoo DOT com via Backup Central.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.