ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences

2012-07-16 16:09:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:55:43 -0500
When we first started renegotiating our last deal, about a year ago, the
discount for ProtecTier was talked about a lot, but I don't know if it was part
of the final package.

We went with capacity-based licensing for two reasons:
1) no one liked dealing with PVUs, and the TSM server team could neither easily
measure PVUs nor encourage server administrators to factoring PVUs into their
designs.
2) We manage storage growth aggressively and track it constantly. Managing that
now manages our TSM license cost at the same time.

Oddly enough, it looks like our initial architecture for the VE environment
will play to this model nicely. As of TSM 6.3, the TDP for VE doesn't yet do
"incrementals forever," so we need an architecture that reduces backup time for
the data movers, and we will look heavily at client-side dedupe, on the theory
that we'll own the datamovers and can give them all the CPU power they might
need to do client-side dedupe without impacting production CPU capacities. Of
course, this is all on paper now; ask me in six months how well it's actually
working out.

Nick