ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences

2012-07-16 12:56:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:45:53 +0000
I've had a couple of customers look at capacity-based licensing, ditto what the
other folks said.  IBM will make a different offer to each customer, which
supposedly takes into account the conversion of your existing licenses.

I have one customer who only keeps their backups 2 weeks (really, really
short), but they back up over 250 systems, lots of TDP for SQL agent, total of
only about 80 TB in primary storage.  They definitely would come out better
switching to capacity-based.

I have another customer who backs up less than 100 clients, but keeps
everything 6 months, they are over 300 TB primary storage.  Better off sticking
with PVU-based.

However, some customers may also come out better with capacity-based licensing,
because it includes all the TDP's and TSM for VE; some might use it as a quick
and dirty way to pick up more products with no additional cost.

So you just have to look at your own circumstances and figure out where the
growth is; if you are already at 1 PB, my guess is you will NOT come out better
going to the capacity-based license, but can't say for sure.