ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] RMAN direct to NFS

2012-07-11 14:07:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] RMAN direct to NFS
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:02:26 -0400
I haven't tried it myself on a file pool, but couldn't you update the
device class of the datadomain pool to have a mountlimit of 0 ?

"- No way to take the DD file pool offline.  You can mark it
"unavailable",
but that
    only effects client sessions, not reclamation or other internal
processes."

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/11/2012 09:07 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] RMAN direct to NFS

>I don't know if we'd have gone with VTLs if we were architecting
>this from scratch, but as we went from tape-based to virtual
>technology, the VTL interfaces made the transition logically
>simpler, and it appeased the one team member who has an irrational
>hatred of NFS. We're now under pressure to adopt a new reference
>architecture that is NFS based, not VTL based. I'm skeptical about
>that will work, but because we're changing everything except the
>fact that we're still a TSM shop, if it doesn't go well, everyone
>will have a chance to blame someone else for any problems.

Compared to what you guys are describing, we are a small.
We run 10 main TSM servers, 50tb/night, 3000 nodes, 2 x 3584 libs with 50
drives each,
and now we've added 4 DataDomains.  We replicate between the DD's.

For the first two, we decided to use the NFS interface.  Our experience is
that we are now ONLY
interested in NFS file based interface.   For the TSM instances we've
moved on the DD, It has
 GREATLY simplified our TSM instances and processing.

The Good:
- no tape (zoning, paths, stuck tapes, scsi reservation errors,
           rmt/smc devices, atape, etc)
- no copy pool  (we use DD replication.  This cuts the I/O load in half.)
- quick migration (we migrate disk pool at 10% to the DD.
                   It runs all night, so migration in the moring is
minimal.
- protect disk pool with lower max file size (we pass any file over 5gb
directly
                   to the DD pool.)
- simpler batch processing.  No copy pool!!!  We let reclamation fun
     automatically whenever a vol needs it.  We are using 30gb volumes,
     so many need little reclamation.
- We collocate the DD pool by node.
      I'm working on a script to see the DD compression per node.
- NFS has been very reliable.  Our TSM servers are in lpars on several
      chassis.  We're using VIO to share a 10g adapter per chassis.
      I'm seeing 150-250mb/s during migrations per TSM instance.
      (Jumbo packets are a MUST.)
- DR is simpler.  DB and recplan gets backed up to the DD along with
      other "stuff", which all gets replicated to the DR site.
      When brought up we have the PRI pool.

The Not-so-good:
- Yes, it's NFS.  AIX can be tied in a knot if the NFS server (DD in this
case)
    has a problem.  Since the DD is a non-redundant architecture (not a
cluster)
    I DO expect problems if the DD dies.  The one change I've made that DD
doesn't
    recommend is that I mount the shares "soft".
- No way to take the DD file pool offline.  You can mark it "unavailable",
but that
    only effects client sessions, not reclamation or other internal
processes.
- When you take the DD down for some reason, you have to kill
sessions/processes
    using it, mark the pool unavailable, then umount the share on all
servers.
- As mentioned about, the architecture if the DD is non-redundant.  That
was
    a kind of comfort with all the tape pieces/parts.  Individual
piece/part
    can break, but it only effected the one part.  With the DD, if it it
    crashes all users have problems.

For us, this has been a major step forward.  It's not often that a product

truly simplifies what we do, but the DD's with NFS interface is one
that stands out.

Rick