ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Reducing SCSI timeouts?

2012-07-02 10:29:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Reducing SCSI timeouts?
From: Sascha Askani <sascha AT ASKANI DOT NAME>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:26:39 +0200
Hi everybody,

due to faulty tape drives, we have "lost" some of our LTO4 tape volumes,
i.e. these volumes are no longer readable by any of our other tape
drives. AUDIT VOLUME sometimes stalls at the first file to check and
throws errors and gets reduced to a crawl.

The only way out for us is currently "DELETE VOLUME DISCARDD=YES", but
for obvious reasons, I do a "MOVE DATA" beforehand to rescue the data
that any of the drives is able to read. (No copy pools were yet configured)

Since we have "a couple of" volumes to check, I'd like to get some
insight if it is possible to reduce the SCSI timeout value for the tape
drives, since we have to wait ~15 minutes for a single "CANCEL PROCESS"

I tried:

echo "180" > /sys/class/lin_tape/IBMtapeX/device/timeout

But that didn't work out. Any hints?

* TSM for Linux/x86_64 - Version 6, Release 2, Level 3.100
* RedHat 5
* lin_taped 1.68.0-1

Thanks in advance!

BR,