ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best practices for Oracle and DB2 Moves

2012-05-14 12:41:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best practices for Oracle and DB2 Moves
From: Kevin Kettner <kkettner AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:31:13 -0500
We are doing a 5.5 to 6.2 migration now by exporting all our nodes to
new servers. Some of our oracle nodes are very large, but exporting
works fine, it just takes a while. We had one node that took over a week
to complete. Here's an outline of our process:

TSM-A is the 5.5 server. TSM-B is the 6.2 server. NODE1 is currently
backing up to TSM-A using  the TDP client.

0. Instruct DBAs to halt clean ups of old data (TDPOsycn or whatever
scripts they run).
1. Export NODE1 from TSM-A to TSM-B.
    a. If there are mulitple file spaces export a few at a time to make
it more manageable and to not fill BACKUPPOOL on TSM-B if possible.
2. NODE1 continues to backup to TSM-A.
3. Catchup export. You're now missing a day to a week of data, so after
the initial export is done, do another export specifying the date using
fromdate set to the date of the start of the orginal export and
merge=yes. If there's a lot of data it could take a day to catch up.
4. Stop backups on NODE1.
5. Do a final catchup export using fromdate set to date of catchup
export. Don't forget merge=yes.
6. Switch NODE1 over to TSM-B.
7. Make sure backups are working and all backup data is on the new server.
8. Delete NODE1 from TSM-A when you're comfortable.