ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] IBM 3592/TS1130-E06 fibre ports - can they be split

2012-04-03 11:35:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] IBM 3592/TS1130-E06 fibre ports - can they be split
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:30:24 -0400
We are in a major project to completely reorganize/replace our SAN
switches used by tape drives for all TSM servers.

We are hoping to transition to the new switches, gradually, vs all at
once.  This depends on how the tape drives use the dual-ports/fibre
connections.

Currently, we only use 1 of the 2-ports on each drive...simply never had
enough SAN switch ports to use both.

What we were wondering is, could we connect the second, currently unused
drive port to the new switches, 1-server at a time, and switch to using
the new connection/port vs the existing port, via path values?

Everything I read in the docs for the drives says it uses them for "load
balancing and redundancy" but doesn't explicitly say if we could do what
we would LIKE to do?

Anyone try this kinda thing?  Any IBM engineer/hardware level folks out
there who can tell me definitively that I simply can't do this - it wasn't
designed that way?

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University