ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] More tsm encryption questions

2012-03-22 14:05:23
Subject: [ADSM-L] More tsm encryption questions
From: "Lee, Gary" <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:01:55 -0400
Ok.  Think I have encryption working.

Tried the following experiment.

1. Added these lines to dsm.opt

encryptiontype aes128
encryptkey generate
include.encrypt "c:\Documents and Settings\glee.BSU\My Documents\crypt\...\*"

2. did an incremental backup to pick up the crypt folder just created and
filled.

3. deleted all files starting with "phon"

4.  restored files starting with phon back to crypt folder, .  Went well.

5. commented all encryption related lines out of dsm.opt.

6. removed phone* from crypt folder again.

7. restored phone* back to crypt folder.

I thought that with encryption lines removed from dsm.opt, either the
encrypted files wouldn't restore, or would be restored as garbage.  Not so.
Restored perfectly.

What have I missed?
Also, is there a way to verify that the specified files are truly encrypted?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer
Ball State University