ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Best disk layout for new TSM setup with the hardware I got, please advise

2012-03-22 03:22:57
Subject: [ADSM-L] Best disk layout for new TSM setup with the hardware I got, please advise
From: Rick Kluitman <rick.kluitman AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:20:15 +0100
Hi,

I am pretty new to TSM and have the task of installing a new setup, I read
a lot about the TSM server installation and did some tests in a VMware
setup.

The question I have is this, I have a HP server with 10 internal SAS disks
on a raidcontroller that does raid1/raid5/raid10 that will become our TSM
server.
I am thinking a 4 disk raid 5 for the diskpool will be OK, but what do I do
for metadata?

Do I make one big raid 10 for logging and db files, do I split this up?
I am not sure if 2 or 3 seperate raid sets will be better than one big one,
and if I do split, do I place the activity log / archive log on the same
disk (different fs) and the db on a seperate set?

So these are my options I guess;

a)
1 - raid 1 - OS+archive log (2d)
2 - raid 1 - active log (2d)
3 - raid 1 - db (2d)
4 - raid 5 - diskpool (4d)

b)
1 - raid 10 - OS+archive log +active log (4d)
2 - raid 1 - db (2d) -
4 - raid 5 - diskpool (4d)

c)
1 - raid 10 - OS+archive log + active log + db (6d)
2 - raid 5 - diskpool (4d)

I think option B might be the best option but I am not sure about the 2
disks for the TSM db, that might be a huge bottleneck?
No dedupe on this TSM server so DB size should be ok.

Thank you, Rick