ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] migration threads for random access pool and backups issue

2012-03-15 12:55:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] migration threads for random access pool and backups issue
From: amit jain <amit12.jain AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:45:21 -0700
Thanks to all for these valuable inputs. Appreciate it a lot.

Well this is first time this data is getting backed up.

For now here is what I was not aware and what I have done: 1. On Random
Access pools multiple migration sessions can be generated, only if we
backup on multiple nodes ? Is my understanding correct or there is any way
to increase the number of tape mounts ?

Now i know:  Migration processes depends on nodes. random access storage
has limitation in regards to migration process.  If I had  more than 2
nodes backing up to the same random access storage pools then I could have
more than two migration processes depending on the configuration settings.
If the disk pool gets filled up, data goes to next pool and backups wont
fail.

As in our environment we have  large small number of files so file type
disk pool is not a good idea.  Improving backend speed does not always work
better.  Because the speed coming into TSM server will not be fast enough
or sometimes equal or little bit better compared to the speed dumping data
from disk to tape. This all depends on the type of data to back up. If
there are huge number of files, One migration process is good enough and
have 2 or 3 more additional tape drives allocated to direct backup when
disk pool is overflow. That was much much faster than using file type
devclass with multiple migration processes.

Currently able to backup ~4TB a day. I will be increasing the stg pool size
to 10 TB and hope i will get better performance. These is also bottleneck
from the TSM client side. Seeing IO wait from the client side.

Thanks

Amit