ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] million files backup

2012-02-02 14:22:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] million files backup
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <gretchen AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:23:01 +0000
If you are not using HSM, the virtual mountpoint approach is a good
one. Since we do have an integrated TSM/HSM system on GPFS, we
can't do that. It takes a bit over 3 days to wade through 130+
million files. Not enough disk to use mmbackup, which basically
'journals' the changes. I do run incrementals on directories
that are critical while the overall incremental runs.

What version of GPFS and TSM are you using? We are a bit backlevel
at GPFS 3.3 and TSM 5.5, but are in the process of upgrading. I
think a more current combination will allow for faster backups.

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University