ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite copypool question

2012-01-17 16:10:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Offsite copypool question
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:01:32 +1300
----- "Paul_Dudley" <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU> wrote:
> On the SQL servers I have included the SQL database folder in the
> Exclude-Include configuration of the normal TSM backup setup. (these
> databases are backed up using TDP for SQL) As well as that, SQL is
> running all the time so the normal TSM backup client would never be
> able to get a lock on these database files. I already have a backup of
> these SQL databases in the SQLDB_LTO4 storage pool and therefore a
> copy is in the SQLDB_COPYPOOL storage pool so I don't need another
> copy in BKPLTO4POOL and COPYPOOL_LTO3

The SQL database files themselves should be excluded rather than included since
you won't get a consistent backup of them with the DB up and running, but I
don't know if you do cold backups as well which would want them included.  I
like to include the directories and just exclude the actual database files (by
extension and location) so a bare metal restore is easier.  You might consider
which management class you include them with if you do backup the db files cold
occasionally.

> Any idea how I can work out why a backup copy of these SQL database
> backups are ending up in BKPLTO4POOL and stop this from happening?

It's likely you're getting the files captured by the client even with the db
open.  Try to exclude them in the inclexcl, or associate them with the right
management class.

'Query occupancy' for the TDP node should list everything in the right storage
pool.

Take a look in the BA client gui and hunt down the database files - that will
tell you if they are being stored.  If you can see them as individual files,
and you've not made a cold backup of the database, then that's the issue.  You
can delete them from the ba client if you wish and are sure they're not wanted.