ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] recovering a crashed TSM server

2011-12-27 05:53:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] recovering a crashed TSM server
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:47:38 +0100
You can alway's recover as long as you have the database backup.
For a version 5 recovery it's as easy as;

* create a newly installed TSM instance.
* create a fileclass device class that points to the same directory you
will place your .dbv backup file in.
* do a database backup to this fileclass
* save device  / volhist files.
* halt tsm
* copy your .dbv backup file to your new fileclass dir.
* edit  history files to point to your backup file.
* run dsmserv restoredb

For a version 6 recovery it's  little bit more tricky with things like ;

* use *exactly* the same server software version
* create an instance like before with the fileclass
* do a db backup
* device/volhist backup
* halt tsm
* then drop the TSM database and loadformat instance.
* dsmserv restoredb
* use correct instance usernames / environment variables

I think that's about it....did I forget something guy's, don't have much
time today but still want to help out! :-)