ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 6.2.3 node backup I/O statistics

2011-11-18 15:58:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.2.3 node backup I/O statistics
From: "Vandeventer, Harold [BS]" <Harold.Vandeventer AT DA.KS DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:46:33 -0600
I've run into a problem on TSM 6.2.3 on Windows 2008 R2.  32 GB RAM, 4 6-core
processors.

Issue: node backup statistics USED to report in the range of 2,000 KB/sec to
10,000 KB/sec night after night for all nodes.

For the last few weeks, the rate is consistently less than 200 KB/sec; night
after night.

Daytime tests are also 200 KB/sec or less, when no other server-side work
(reclaim, dedup, table re-org, db backup) is running.

I've swapped network interfaces at the server, changed switch ports, changed
switches, confirmed the ports are at 1 Gbps/full.  Rebooted at least 5 times.

V 6.2.3 was installed 4 weeks before the performance drop.

A backup of a 14 GB file now takes about 90 minutes, but I can copy that same
14 GB file to the server in less than 2 minutes.

I don't see any related TSM interim fixes.  IC76984 is related to nodes getting
hung and not completing , but backups are successful in my case; just extremely
slow.

Some Windows security patches have been installed, forced by our security team.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?  I'm preparing to open a PMR.

Harold Vandeventer