ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating from AIX to Linux (again)

2011-11-17 12:12:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating from AIX to Linux (again)
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:06:51 -0600
We buy slightly used Power equipment for TSM, and are extremely happy
with the cost comparisons and the performance. You can get a lot of work
done with a used, higher-end P6.

When TSM gets down to some of its serious computation tasks such as
expiration, delete filespace, reclamation, and deduplication, you need a
lot more processing and I/O horsepower than you can get from commodity
equipment. The only alternative we would seriously consider is Sun
SPARC.

Some tasks such as web page serving and email can easily be broken up
into chunks and run on commodity equipment working against a central
NAS/SAN infrastructure, and we do this. TSM does not fit this model
without a LOT of additional management effort. TSM needs fewer, larger,
faster computers, which is also cheaper in terms of environmentals such
as power, cooling, and floor space.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====