ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication

2011-11-16 08:19:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:15:58 +0000
I agree with Ian.

You'll pay extra for dedup storage whether it's an appliance or done via TSM.
TSM's will require extra resource (CPU, RAM) on the server, but will allow you
to use cheap, dumb storage.  You'll pay a premium for disk storage associated
with an appliance, offsetting your savings from data reduction. IMHO, it's
probably a wash. We're going with TSM dedup, because we feel that TSM is in a
better location in the data flow, knows more about the data, and can do more
with it. I think one big reason that appliances are popular is that they were
available first.

When we compared cost of cheap dumb storage to dedup appliance, it was a wash,
unless you got high dd ratios. As we encrypt more data, those ratios become
more and more in doubt.

..Paul