ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication

2011-11-16 05:46:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] External Disk Unit and TSM Deduplication
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:30:26 +0000
Alper,

We have tested TSM server-side deduplication and, yes, it works, but at a cost. Specifically, in our opinion the sum of the additional resource requirements (CPU power and memory) and the time required for the identification and reclamation processes meant that we couldn't see how server-side dedupe would scale on busy systems such as ours. Another factor that coloured our opinion was that not all our data deduped very well. As a result we are looking at client-side dedupe for those clients that we think will attain good dedupe ratios - however, client-side dedupe means longer client sessions and still impacts the TSM server a bit. I'm guessing that the apparent prevalence of hardware-based dedupe on this list is due to people realising that dedupe on a busy system needs to be offloaded from the TSM server.

HTH
Ian Smith