ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Getting Linux TSM Client to ignore I/O Errors on Backup

2011-11-04 14:18:25
Subject: [ADSM-L] Getting Linux TSM Client to ignore I/O Errors on Backup
From: "Sergio O. Fuentes" <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:10:17 -0400
Hi all,

We're running TSM Linux Client 6.2.2.0.  We use it to back up a Lustre
filesystem.  Occasionally, a storage target goes offline but Lustre remains
available.  The issue is that any back up that TSM attempts while a storage
target is offline throws an I/O error and the client immediately stops and
reports a critical error. (For those not familiar, anytime a storage target
goes offline, those files with data on the down target will report i/o stat
errors)  A more ideal algorithm to handle I/O errors for this is to throw the
I/O error on any files that are not available, but continue processing the
filesystem for whichever files it can actually backup.  Does anyone know if
there's a way to do this in the TSM client.  Are there other (non-Lustre)
scenarios where it's preferable to muscle through I/O errors and proceed with
the backup?  Would this be a universally preferable behavior for the TSM
client?

Thanks for the help

Sergio
UMD