ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v63 is out there to download from the Passport Advantage page

2011-10-22 16:06:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM v63 is out there to download from the Passport Advantage page
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:55:18 -0500
That's wonderful. And the TSM 6.3 Mac client supports OSX 10.7 "Lion",
which is important to us.

But there's plenty of rather bad news here. V6.3 servers and clients
cannot interoperate with V5.5 clients and servers. So Mac Lion cannot
back up to a V5.5 server. This also makes migration from V5.5 to V6.3 a
lot harder, because a V5.5 server cannot be a Library Client to a V6.3
Library Manager. The restriction that the Library Manager must be at the
same or higher release level than all of its clients means we will have
to completely eliminate all of our V5.5 TSM server instances before we
can migrate any of our instances to V6.3. That's going to be hard.

V6.3 has dropped support for a number of client and server platforms
that are still rather mainstream, such as AIX 5.3, Windows XP (still 50%
of our clients), Windows Server 2003, any 32-bit Linux. See it all at:

Looks like we can't go beyond V6.2 for quite a while, except for a few
V6.3 clients who will be restricted to our new V6.2 server that's
currently in test mode.

IBM: Supporting V6.3 interoperablility with V5.5 would help a LOT, at
least for some limited pain areas, such as Library Manager
configurations, and an Apple Mac client that can run on OSX 10.7 "Lion"
with a V5.5 server.

P.S. No documentation yet. The V6.3 infocenter is a broken link.

               Academic Computing & Communications Center

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Oscar Kolsteren wrote:

>Hi all, > > > >Don't know if this was already posted here, but TSM 63
is now available >on the Passport Advantage page > > > >Best Regards, >
>Oscar > > >
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>ATTENTION: >The information in this electronic mail message is private
and confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this message is
strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by >reply transmission and
delete the message without copying or opening it. > >Messages and
attachments are scanned for all viruses known. If this message contains
password-protected or encrypted attachments, the files have NOT been
scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain. Always scan attachments
before opening them. > >ING Direct NV is limited liability company
incorporated in The Netherlands. Registered in England & Wales, Branch
Ref BR7357, 410 Thames Valley Park Drive, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 1RH.