ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-10-03 17:51:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:34:18 -0400
On 09/28/2011 02:16 AM, Daniel Sparrman wrote:

In this mail, it really sounds like you're using your DD as both
primary storage and for TSM storage.

I am, right now, using the DD as a target for direct-written database
backups, only.  So that's not really "primary storage", as I think
about it.

If the DD box fails, what are your losses?

If someone puts a high-caliber bullet through my Gainesville DD, then
I recover it from the replicated offsite DD, perhaps selecting a snapshot.

If someone puts a high-caliber bullet through both of them, then I
have lost my backups of a bunch of important databases.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get an idea how
you're using this box.

No problem. Our conversation is fuzzed by the fact that I am also
talking about how one _might_ use it for TSM storage.  I'm
contemplating it, but not doing it at the moment.

[ ... if you lose a DD, then ... ] you have to restore the data from
somewhere else (tape?).

In my planning, the DD gets copied / offsited to a remote DD, so
that's the somewhere else.

- Allen S. Rout