ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] the production date of a cartridge

2011-10-01 21:36:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] the production date of a cartridge
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 12:34:02 +1100
I wouldn't be so sure that 10 years is all you will need Mehdi

A few years back I attempted to unravel the retention rules for an Australian State Government department for which I was working at the time.

There were layers on layers of rules to work through and I never did get to the very bottom of it; some of the stuff I did find was very interesting.

some data was to be kept literally forever.
some data was to be kept for the life of the person concerned plus 20 years.
some data was to be kept for the usual 7 years
some data was required *not* to be kept. Personal data like old addresses, bank details and so on was not to be kept longer than operationally necessary.

This was a health department and ran hospitals, nursing homes, pathology labs and so on. The infinite retention stuff was supposed to be available for epidemilogical investigations that might be run in the future. Since maternity hospitals were part of the picture, the life+20 years rule could be a very long time, and there is no way of accurately knowing when someone has died, given that they may have moved anywhere in the world over their life.

The moral of the story was that a proper unload/archive strategy was needed for any system, particularly when it was retired. Long term backups/archives of raw data in a TSM sense were simply not going to meet the standard required. Also needed as Richard has pointed out, is a strategy for moving data from one medium to another on a regular basis as technologies change so that it can still be accessed when required. Try reading an 8 inch floppy today and you will have trouble, even if the data on it is still good.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Canberra Australia.