ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Updating a script within a script

2011-09-23 17:08:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Updating a script within a script
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:50:20 -0400
The main reason I wanted to use "upd scr" is because it will append to an
existing script.  I don't necessarily want to reschedule these jobs, I
want to document which failed so that I can manually rerun them at some
point.  documenting them in a script makes rerunning more convenient.

The idea behind this script is:

ba node NASHOST /nasvol1 toc=y mode=full w=y  # NDMP Backup
if(rc_ok) goto next11  #IF its ok, skip the next line
upd scr RERUN "ba node NASHOST /nasvol1 toc=y mode=full"  #creating a list
of all the NDMP backups that failed in a ready-to-go-script
next11:
q scr cancel  #if I want to cancel a long inline server script, i do a
quick "def scr cancel"  then cancel the processes. These scripts will take
days to run, so this is usefull to fully and quickly cancel a long chain
of scripts#
if(rc_ok) exit
ba node NASHOST /nasvol2 toc=y mode=full w=y
if(rc_ok) goto next12
upd scr TEST_RERUN "ba node NASHOST /nasvol2 toc=y mode=full"
next12:
q scr cancel
if(rc_ok) exit

The workaround I'm going with is to just define individual scripts for
each failure.  I guess I'll just keep wondering why you can "def scr" but
not "upd scr" within a script.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
rbs AT BU DOT EDU

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
09/23/2011 02:37 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Updating a script within a script

Using Update Script is tedious and error-prone.
The better approach is to manage your script as an OS file and then do
    DELete SCRipt <ScriptName>
    DEFine SCRipt <ScriptName> File=_______________

  Richard Sims

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.