ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disk storage pool 100% utilized but NOT cached

2011-09-13 12:56:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disk storage pool 100% utilized but NOT cached
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:48:12 -0400
Yes, that is kinda what I guessed.  I have the 4TB SQL backup still
running from Saturday.  It is only 50% done.

There has got to be a better way to handle SQL backups of LARGE databases.
 This is causing numerous headaches/problems with other backups by
pre-allocating the space or if going to tape, locking the tape drives for
the duration.

Del,  I know we discussed this and stripes (I have it configured for 3)
for improving the speed, but this goes back to my question about breaking
up the SQL backup into multiple chunks, especially with this new issue of
it locking 4TB of disk space to contain the backup, until it finishes.  I
can't have 1-backup detrimentally effecting everyone else and at the speed
it is running, it will take almost a week to finish.

Suggestions?