ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication question

2011-09-07 05:27:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication question
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:21:56 +0100
On 06/09/11 22:40, Richard van Denzel wrote:
Hi All,

Just a question aboutn the internal dedup of TSM. When I dedup a storage
pool and then backup the pool to a dedup copy pool, will the data in the
storage pool backup be transferred deduped or will it get undeduped first,
then transferred and then dedupped again?

Richard.
Richard,

The chapter 'managing storage pools and volumes' in the TSM 6.1  Admin
Guide has a decent section on deduplicating data. We are investigating
server- and client-side dedupe but we haven't tried what you want to do
in our test environment. However, the above document suggests in two
places that the data will be  copied/moved in its deduplicated 'state'
rather than being rebuilt, copied and deduplicated again.

Ian Smith
Oxford University