ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM library and stgpool help

2011-08-03 15:38:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM library and stgpool help
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:25:51 -0400
-----Vincent E (N-Aerotek) D'Antonio III wrote: -----

>In my continued effort to update my environment I have a few
>questions............here's some info on what I am trying to do.
>
>Current setup:
>
>Tsm_lib1 with stgpool TAPEPOOL and dev class LTO
>
>This is an lto2 tape library that I need to replace and move the
>current backups to a new lto3 library.
>
>Problem, because of the way we do things I need to have the current
>name of the lib (tsm_lib1) and stgpool (TAPEPOOL) with dev class
>(LTO) to remain the same.
>
>So how can I do this?  Can the stgpool name be changed without losing
>anything?  Or is there a way to move a vol from one stgpool to
>another, again without losing any data?
>
>Any info would be greatly appreciated on the best way to get this
>done.

LTO provides for read compatability with previous generations. I
think this would enable you to keep the same storage pool, using
something like the following procedure:

1.Record the status (scratch or private) of each volume in the
  old library.
2.Check out all volumes.
3.Delete the old library and associated path.
4.Define the new library and associated path.
5.Check the private volumes into the new library.
6.Make storage pool volumes with data on them read/only.
7.Update the format for the device class.
8.Insert and label LTO3 scratch volumes.
9.As LTO2 storage pool volumes empty and LTO2 database backups
  age off, remove the volumes and add more LTO3 scratch volumes.