ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP sql backup with very long retention policy.

2011-07-29 02:50:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP sql backup with very long retention policy.
From: "Lakshminarayanan, Rajesh" <Rajesh.Lakshminarayanan AT DFS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:45:51 +0800
Hi Guys,

   I have a situation where I have been asked to check the feasibility
of backing up the sql server( and retain it for 7 years because of the
audit requirements.

   I know this is feasible with TSM and I can define a backup policy for
this requirement.   I have the following things running in my mind.
Just need you inputs

1) Whether I need to have same TDP client version to restore the SQL
server data.
2) Once I need same TDP client, I need to have same TSM server version
(ie more or less a version which can support the TDP client version).
3) Will I be able to restore the data in any other version of OS(Windows
version ).
4) Should I need to maintain same tape models to read the backup tapes.

   It would be great if you guys can share your experience with similar
situation.  And if you have any other ways/means to achieve it.

Regards,

Rajesh Lakshminarayanan