ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NPIV for LAN-free backup of SQL server in VMware

2011-07-28 01:38:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NPIV for LAN-free backup of SQL server in VMware
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:34:10 +0200
You are right, this seems to have changed in the last 6 months or so! :-)
Very nice for a disk only TSM Server solutions, but I see the storage agents
are still not supported on VMware.

- In VMware guests, tape access via NPIV is not "supported", but it might
work. Correct?

True, I worked with tape in ESX 4.1 attached via SAS and that works fine
(TS3200), no the same as NPIV of course but I expect no problems with it,
you can't do snapshots of the VM anymore, so be warned of that.

- In VMs, storage agent (and so lan-free backup) is not supported by IBM,
but it might work?

True, I would give you a 90% chance of it working just fine but no more
VMware drs/ha functions for your vm.

- If lan-free is feasible in VMs, does that mean SANergy is supported?

No, it doesn't mean it is supported but I can't find if it is.

- Remco recommended looking for other solutions than SANergy if possible. Is
GPFS supported or at least does it work here?

This is what I find on GPFS / VMware :

GPFS has |been tested with VMware ESX 4.1 for NSD clients only and is
supported |on all Linux distros |that are supported by both VMware and GPFS.

( from here :
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.cluster.gpfs.doc%2Fgpfs_faqs%2Fgpfsclustersfaq.html)

What is your idea on SANergy/GPFS in relation to SQL server backup?