ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Library sharing client - FC required?

2011-07-25 13:58:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Library sharing client - FC required?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 19:54:08 +0200
On 25 jul. 2011, at 19:31, Keith Arbogast wrote:

> In SCSI library sharing, does the Library Client need fiber connections to
> the automated tape library?  I understand paths to the drives are defined on
> the Library Manager and the Library Client, but does file movement to and
> from tape drives pass over fiber between the Library Client and the Library,
> or between the Library Manager and the Library?

- paths are defined on the library manager for both the manager (as usual) and
the client

- Occam's razor applies
- imagine a library manager managing 80+ drives for 10+ other servers, and all
data moving via this one LM, not a scalable solution
- HBA's with default firmware can only act as initiators, not as targets
- thus, the library manager can't receive any data from the other servers

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl