ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only

2011-07-20 00:59:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backup specific folder only
From: Gibin <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:57:05 -0700
Thanks everyone .. I will go with Andy's suggestion of using a separate
schedule to target a specific folder for backup.
Although Gary's suggestion would also solve my problem ,it comes with a lot of
administrative overheard since i would have to use many exclude.dir  options
for each specific server and  also if  an user did add any new folder in future
i would end up backing up the folder structure.

Paul,  we do a lot of  folder specific backups on many of the servers(
file,oracle,application,EDMS servers).Many of these servers do have folder/sub
folder branches  of over 10,000+ .So  if i can be very specific in what i
backup i can reduce  TSM DB growth to a certain extent.

Also,we are not particular about backing up the OS,system drive on some servers
as these servers have redundant server units and even if we lost a server
somewhere , the App services wouldn't be affected and we can rebuild the server
from scratch .Its been over 5 yrs and we have never faced the situation of a
server rebuild due to OS file corruption or user accidentally deleting the
file.Hence we  stick with the plan of skipping OS backup for certain non
critical servers .