ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM and Exchange 2010

2011-07-19 15:36:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM and Exchange 2010
From: "Sheridan, Peter T." <Peter.Sheridan AT CUNAMUTUAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:31:28 -0500
I know that there has been much discussion about this topic but was
wondering if anybody has a step-by-step guide or an IBM Redbook to
reference for using TSM to backup/restore Exchange 2010. I have read the
users guide and am still quite confused.

My main confusion deals with how NOT to get multiple backups of the same
database that can reside on difficult physical machines in a DAG
configuration. Do you have to define a separate schedule and node name
for each DB in a DAG and only backup the passive (or active copy) ? So,
if I have a four node DAG with four databases in the following
configuration:

S1                    S2               S3                  S4
DB1 (A)           DB1 (P)        DB2 (A)         DB2 (P)
DB3 (P)           DB3 (A)        DB4 (P)         DB4 (A)

Do you create eight node names: S1, S2, S3, S4, DB1, DB2, DB3, and DB4.
To get only one copy of DB1 backed up, run one schedule on S1 to backup
Passive copy of DB1 and similar schedule on S2 to backup passive copy of
DB2. Each night you will run two attempts but only get the passive copy
even though you do not know what physical server it resides. Was also
wondering if you need to run the schedules at different times since you
will be trying to backup the same TSM nodename from 2 different physical
servers ?

Difficult to explain but hope it makes sense. My goal is to only backup
the passive copy of a DB even though that DB can reside on either
physical server S1 or S2. Plus, any instructions to setup TDP for
exchange 2010.

Thanks Pete.

Thanks Pete.