ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Determing how much of a tsm server's data is active

2011-07-19 10:59:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Determing how much of a tsm server's data is active
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:54:27 -0400
RBS qualified his statement with "unfettered incremental backups of file
systems".
If this was the case (I.E. No TDPs and no exclusions) then it will work
fine and is quick/easy.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
07/19/2011 03:52 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Determing how much of a tsm server's data is active

Richard,

Your approach will work for file data, but a lot of the TDPs don't
accurately register filespace sizes.  Only the OP will know what the
impact of that might be in his environment.

I would go for an export allactive preview=yes.  It might run for quite
a while.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Canberra Australia

On 19/07/2011 4:42 AM, Richard Sims wrote:
> If your clients are doing unfettered incremental backups of file
systems, then the following would yield a MB approximation, very quickly:
>        SELECT SUM(CAPACITY*PCT_UTIL/100) FROM FILESPACES
> which is based upon TSM's information about the file system as gotten
from the last client operation.  By definition, the files on the client
represent all the Active files in TSM storage where the activity is
incremental backups.

>     Richard Sims

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.