ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM policy

2011-06-21 17:08:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM policy
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:04:03 +0000
>> What do you think about using two TSM instance on the same backup server.
>> One for every day short term retention and an other one for the long term
>> once a month.

I have a customer who does that, because they were bought by a non-US parent
company that REQUIREs them to keep a monthly backup forever.  It works.

-One instance does incrementals with max 60 day retention.
-The 2nd instance does an incremental, not a full, on the last weekend of every
month.  Making the monthly an incremental is the trick to keeping the DB and
the backup store a (sort of) reasonable size.  With the monthly incremental,
you can still restore any client to the point in time, without actually having
to back up all that data again.

I didn't architect that solution, and my hat is off to the person who did; it
meets the requirements imposed on the organization.

I still don't recommend it.  The truly best solution would be to set up the
correct type of archiving software (not TSM archiving), so that the necessary
email and documents are saved for eons in a way that is not dependent on the
original hostname, not dependent on the original media, and properly indexed
and searchable (and not limited to the file name for searches).

Trouble is, that takes commitment by the company (and a lot of work and expense
up front) to actually implement good records management practices.  Most
companies won't do that work in the short term, even though they would be
better off in the long term.