ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation

2011-06-21 15:33:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Deduplication and Collocation
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:25:30 -0400
Even if a FILE devclass has dedup turned on, when the data is migrated,
reclaimed, or backed up (backup stgpool) to tape, then the files are
reconstructed from their pieces.

You cannot dedup on DISK stgpools.
DISK implies "random access disk" - e.g., devclass DISK.
FILE implies "serial access disk - e.g., devclass FILE.

But I think there is still an open question about collocation and
deduplication.  Deduplication must be done using FILE stgpools, but FILE
stgpools CAN use collocation.  I don't know what happens in this case.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521