ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why is restore -filelist so much faster?

2011-06-17 11:42:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why is restore -filelist so much faster?
From: Wolfgang J Moeller <moeller AT GWDG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:34:26 +0200
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Roger Deschner wrote:

> For TSM restores that will be from tape, I am discovering that RESTORE
> -FILELIST is a whole lot faster for restores of multiple files than
> RESTORE <filespec with wildcard>. So I'm building a script to run QUERY
> BACKUP and then turn those results into a form for RESTORE -FILELIST.
> The performance difference is dramatic - several hours for RESTORE
> <filespec> compared to 5-20 minutes for RESTORE -FILELIST. I am
> wondering why this is as I exploit this technique.
>
> TSM server 5.5 on AIX, LTO-4 tape.
>[...]

In my understanding,

   QUERY BACKUP ... -> <edit> -> RESTORE -FILELIST

ought to be essentially the same as

   RESTORE ... -TESTFLAG=DISABLENQR

(or what the latter is called in your line-mode client).

Is your experience different? Client version?

If in doubt, and not restoring a whole filesystem, explicitly
asking DSMC to "disable no-query-restore" tends to help _me_
(newer GUIs have it in the ->Restore->Options menu).

BTW, file spaces with millions of files are common here, too ;-)

Best regards,

        Wolfgang J. Moeller <moeller AT gwdg DOT de>

Tel. +49 551 201-1516 ... not representing ... GWDG, Goettingen, Germany