ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Why is restore -filelist so much faster?

2011-06-16 15:36:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Why is restore -filelist so much faster?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:31:26 -0500
For TSM restores that will be from tape, I am discovering that RESTORE
-FILELIST is a whole lot faster for restores of multiple files than
RESTORE <filespec with wildcard>. So I'm building a script to run QUERY
BACKUP and then turn those results into a form for RESTORE -FILELIST.
The performance difference is dramatic - several hours for RESTORE
<filespec> compared to 5-20 minutes for RESTORE -FILELIST. I am
wondering why this is as I exploit this technique.

TSM server 5.5 on AIX, LTO-4 tape.