ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] bare machine recovery for mainframe operating systems

2011-06-15 08:17:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] bare machine recovery for mainframe operating systems
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 06:46:56 -0500
On Jun 15, 2011, at 4:49 AM, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi,
> Is the concept of bare machine recovery applicable for z/OS and other
> mainframe operating systems like zLinux?

z/VM and, as far as I know, z/OS come with utilities designed to be booted when
the system is down; think of a "boot floppy" or "boot CD-ROM" on a PC. The
commercial backup programs available for those systems also typically come with
stand-alone versions of the programs for the same purpose as well. In those
cases, the premise is to recover a minimal version of the operating system so
you can run your backup software and restore the rest of your system from your
usual backup tapes.

You've been asking a lot of questions lately about topics that probably are
addressed at least as well on the IBM-MAIN and LINUX-390 mailing lists. I hope
you're familiar with those lists as well. Linux-390 in particular is where I'd
suggest you ask your question about how to restore a Linux image on the
mainframe, especially if you don't run VM but instead run Linux in its own
LPAR.

> Thank you,
> Mehdi

Nick