ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment

2011-06-12 11:14:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tape encryption in TSM environment
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:11:37 +0000
In the US, encryption also covers a regulatory issue.  Many states now have
laws that spell out the responsibilities of sites to protect "personally
identifiable information" (information about persons including their financial
info, medical info, etc.)

The short version is that if a tape goes missing and is not encrypted, the
company is legally liable.
If the tape goes missing but is encrypted, no problem.

You can turn on encryption for 3592 and LTO tape drives just by adding the
appropriate parms to the device class in TSM.  Very, very easy way to eliminate
the legal issue.

As a result, most of my customers who send tapes offsite use TSM encryption.
The ones with the most sensitive data (financial and medical companies) use
encryption for tapes that stay onsite, as well.