ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM & client machine renames

2011-06-02 13:57:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM & client machine renames
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:52:13 -0400
Hello all,

We are contemplating a massive Active Domain reorganization which would involve
renaming hundreds of Windows machines that we backup into TSM.  We forsee a few
problems with this, and I am looking to see if any other TSM sites have faced a
similar problem and what they did to address it.

The problems:
1. Renaming a Windows system will result in TSM making a fresh backups for the
volumes on that system (because the system name is part of the filespace name).
 Renaming the filespace on the TSM server will address this, but timing is a
problem.  If you rename the filespace a day early or a day late, you will still
end up with extra backups.

2. TSM likes to replace DOMAIN C: statements with DOMAIN \\systemname\C$.  If
the systemname changes, then the TSM backup will fail, because it won't be able
to find the old systemname (unless and until the DOMAIN statement is updated).
Again, with so many machines, updating all those DSM.OPT files will be
problematic.

3. If we have a large number of unintended extra backups, TSM server resources
(database size and stgpool capacity) will be stretched.

Having a tool that would allow our customers to rename their TSM filespaces
on-demand would be a big help.  As we do not give out policy domain privileges,
we cannot use dsmadmc to do this.  I am looking for other solutions that any of
you might have developed, or even just thought about.  If the TSM BA client
allowed a user to rename their filespace, that would be a great solution.  But
it's not there.

Thanks for any help (or condolences).

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521