ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] who makes policy for TSM?

2011-05-23 10:44:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] who makes policy for TSM?
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 09:37:03 -0500
The Business owners in cooperation with the System Admin for TSM. It's a
cooperative thing.  The SLA for recovery will dictate the policy, with
RPOs and RTOs dictating frequency, retention, etc.  The business owners
may want backups every 5 minutes with data kept forever, but they have
to know and be willing to contribute to the cost, which usually leads to
a more reasonable schedule and retention setting.  :D

You also have to consider Regulatory requirements, such as HIPAA, PCI,
etc. which may trump anyone's wants or budget constraints.  If you're in
health care you should have a Security officer, and compliance officer
who should be able to help address those issues.

I often tell people I do not "set" policy, I just enforce it, but I do
in some degree influence it. :D

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr., RHCE, CNE, CDE
John 3:16!