ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code

2011-05-16 14:56:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:49:54 -0400
Wanda,

Apologies if this was already mentioned (I haven't read this entire thread),
but Expiration can have a dramatic impact when the log is pinned.  It does not
in itself typically pin the log for long periods of time.  However, it can
exacerbate the situation where the log is pinned, especially when you have
logmode=rollforward.  The log is actually circular and has a "head" and a
"tail".  The oldest open transaction pins the "tail" of the log.  Any other
updates, whether they remain open or not (for rollforward) will move the "head"
forward.  When the "head" catches up to the "tail", then the log utilization
reaches 100%.  The faster the head moves in a situation where the tail is
pinned, the faster your log utilization will near 100%.  Expiration is one
thing which can move the head the fastest (IMHO).  When I see our logutil
rising, the first thing I check is to see if expiration is running, and if so
cancel it.  This will slow down the rate of increase in logutil.  It would be
nice if this happened automatically, even before db writes are slowed down, but
I don't believe it does.

This may not apply for logmode=normal, I'm not really sure.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521