ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1071E Invalid domain name entered: (Drive Not Available)

2011-04-28 15:06:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS1071E Invalid domain name entered: (Drive Not Available)
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:57:53 -0400
Okay, I got to the bottom of this but it was a trying experience. For
the benefit of others here are my findings.

Our virtual admins use a product by Novell called Platespin, its primary
purpose is to convert and/or clone physical servers to virtual servers
for DR and cold stand-bys. In the process of the conversion the app
appears to create mount points at "\\servername\systemdrive\Documents
and Settings\All Users\Application Data\platespin" for what I assume to
be caching or cataloging.

When using the 5.5.3.3 TSM BA client these mounts just appears as an
"unavailable drive". After upgrading the BA to 6.2.2.2 they appeared
with the FQ path to the location of the mount and thus identifying
PlateSpin as the cause.

Ideally, these would be removed after the clone process completes but
apparently the admins were having issues with the jobs crashing hence
abandoning these folders and the associated mounts.

Once I deleted the folders and any associated files the mounts no longer
existed and the client's backup completed successfully.

~Rick Adamson
Jacksonville, FL