ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on AIX and Linux

2011-04-23 04:37:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM on AIX and Linux
From: Steven Langdale <steven.langdale AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:32:51 +0000
Just to make sure the point is not missed, while it is possible to use
EXPORT to only export the database (export server filedata=none), you
need to realize that while this will move the database from AIX to Linux,
the resultant Linux-based TSM server will not be able to access the same
tape volumes that AIX used. You would need to export all of the AIX-based
user data, importing it to your new Linux server.

It would be very nice indeed if there were a way to just export/import
the database, and be able to have the new server access the old set of
tapes, even if it were through some sort of shim as a transitional
process during which you could migrate the data from the old tapes (using
a shim) to new tapes (using native). This would make the time it takes to
do the migration much shorter and more manageable, particularly for large
servers.

..Paul

A Very good point Paul, and one I'd forgotten - so thanks for the reminder!

At risk of hijacking the thread somewhat, this does raise a question about
the format incompatibility statement... I have a particular TSM instance on
windows 2003. In that environment we do LAN-Free backups of an SAP
environment which is on AIX. These tape volumes are therfore read/writeable
on AIX and Windows. With that in mind, they must be cross platform
accessible, at least to a certain extent.

Thoughts?

Steven