ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] How do you allocate costs for deduplicated data?

2011-04-18 15:20:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] How do you allocate costs for deduplicated data?
From: Jim Neal <jrneal AT BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:50:59 -0700
Hi All,

                We are in the process of testing TSM's Deduplication feature
and I have a question about how the cost of the deduplicated data gets
allocated.  For example:

  Two systems that have 80% of their data in common and that belong to two
different departments get backed up.  The first system gets deduplicated and
is billed for 100% of the deduplicated data.  The second system only has 20%
of unique data and so is only billed for that 20% after deduplication?  Is
this correct? If so, is there a way to get around this so that the cost is
fairly divided?

Any information or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
much!

Jim Neal

Sr. TSM Administrator

U.C. Berkeley