ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] VStore Restore vmdk

2011-04-14 10:16:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] VStore Restore vmdk
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:04:15 -0500
I have a vmdk backup server setup using LAN free backups, and the vstore
API.  I have been able to backup a couple of vmdk files (full backup),
and that appeared to work pretty well.

However, when I try to restore the guest node I get very horrible
performance.  The initial restore appears to work, and the vm guest gets
created and the snapshot setup for restore.  But, when the actual data
transfer starts it will move about 35 to 60 MB at a time and then sit
and wait for long periods (average aggregate rate is 220 KB/s).   I have
a call open with IBM but they haven't been able to come back with
anything (completely devoid of response the last day or so) to resolve
the issue.

I have tried with and without the LAN free storage agent, and I have
setup the vmware side to use "NBD" so the SAN is out of the picture.
I'm using very straight forward options on the restore, nothing fancy,
(original location and altering nothing else).  I have verified that the
user has admin rights at the VCenter server over the whole farm, and
I've tried the restore from both the original backup server and the
vcenter server with the same results.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue?

See Ya'

Howard Coles Jr.