ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Version 3 client on Version 6 server

2011-04-06 05:27:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Version 3 client on Version 6 server
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 10:22:34 +0100
On 05/04/11 19:10, Thomas Denier wrote:
We are in the process of migrating from a TSM 5.5.4.0 server under
mainframe Linux to a pair of TSM 6.2.2.0 servers, also under mainframe
Linux. Our organization has an application running under SCO Open Server
3.2.5. The SCO system uses TSM 3.1.0.8 client code (the highest client
level that was ever supported for the OS level). A replacement system
running Windows 2003 has been installed, but we recently learned that
current plans call for spreading the migration of the SCO system's
remaining workload over a period of a calendar year or more. This raises
the possibility that the SCO TSM client will still be around when we are
ready to shut down the TSM 5.5 server. Has anyone successfully used this
client configuration with a TSM 6.2 server?
Thomas,

we have 4 old clients on HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris 8 and Redhat 4(?) that are
running 3.1.0.7 and .8 clients with no ill-effects. We migrated to
server version 6 several months ago and are now on 6.2.2. The migration
handled the 'old' version 3 data without problem ( the only errors we
ever saw were for orphaned entries for old storage pools that we had
deleted ).  Basically we say to these clients - while it works, fine,
but you are on your own, and we will probably lock you out., if there
are any server-side effects in the future.

Ian Smith
Oxford University