ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Re: draining a diskpool when using a DD and no copypool

2011-03-22 10:44:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: draining a diskpool when using a DD and no copypool
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:43:44 +0200
It's not always such a good idea to use a file device as the primary storage
device for backups. It all depends on the amount of clients, if you're using
multi-session backups and the size of your file volumes.

Remember that even though TSM has concurrent access to file volumes, only 1
session is actually allowed to write to the volume. This means that backup
sessions, migration TO a file device and such will effectively lock up that
specific volume for write access.

So basicallly, if you run 1000 sessions against a filedevice pool, you will be
creating 1000 volumes.